Sunday, September 13, 2009

Freeundelete from OfficeRecovery.com

I got in to the bad habit of just doing straight file deletes on windows, skipping the recycling bin all together. To do this, simply hold down the shift key when you press the delete button. Explorer will still prompt you for a confirmation, but anyone who has done this enough times will have their muscle memory take over and hit enter key right after.

Unfortunately, I have done this to one of my pet project which I have been working for a few days now. Pet project also means no SCM, no backup. Lesson learned.

The good old undelete is no longer available from DOS! In a frantic search to recover the files, I came across the "FreeUndelete" tool available from OfficeRecovery.com, and it worked like a charm.

Although there are a few corrupted files, most of the files restored without any problems. I hope I don't have to use this tool every again.

No comments:

Post a Comment